On Thursday September 29th I went to the hospital for another routine BPP (bio physical profile) ultrasound and monitoring. It was being done weekly starting the week before because I had Gestational Diabetes. Everything looked great until they took my blood pressure. It was higher than normal. It had been creeping up little by little and I guess last week was the last straw because my OB said I was staying and being induced. He wasn't happy with the direction my pressure was going and it was better to deliver now than wait.
I sat around waiting to be admitted and have a blood draw and then they let me go home for lunch and grab my bags (that were already packed and waiting). I called my mom and told her the news and since she was planning on coming up on the weekend anyway she decided to come a day earlier .. thankfully! She would be here to get Rianne on and off the bus on Friday.
I got back to the hospital a little after 1 PM and was taken to my Labor/Delivery room where I sat around bored, doing nothing until 10 PM. My OB arrived at that time to insert the Prostin Gel to ripen my cervix and get it ready for delivery. Five minutes after I got the gel I started having some contractions. Nothing serious but they were regular so I was progressing. I had to stay in bed hooked up to the monitor for an hour after getting the gel and then I was unhooked and I could do whatever I wanted. I took a warm bath and relaxed a bit. I was given a shot of Morphine and Gravol to help take the edge off to see if I would sleep. Yeah, that didn't work well at all. I contracted throughout the night and got through them by rocking back and forth in bed or swaying if I was standing.
Around 8:30 AM on Friday (September 30th) the nurse came to start the Oxytocin IV and my OB broke my water. Things progressed pretty fast after. Contractions were coming on fast and strong. I was checked and was 3-4 CMs dilated about an hour after starting the drip. I was breathing through the contractions, the baby's heart rate would go down and go back up when the contraction was over. The nurse couldn't understand why there would be pressure on the baby's head already. Ummm maybe because she was entering the birth canal ALREADY!!
The medical staff were warned several times that I deliver fast due to my experience with Rianne but they were still meandering around the room. One nurse was teaching a St. FX nursing student how to get things ready and so forth. I was checked again and I was 8-9 CMs and the pressure was causing my body to push on its own. That's when they took me seriously. Nothing like a last minute frenzy to keep them on their toes. The OB arrived back in my room, I was pushing, the nurses were frantically getting the doctors tray ready as well as the baby warmer and whatever else they thought they had plenty of time left to accomplish.
I think I only pushed a few times. I was given a mask for Nitrous Oxide which in my opinion didn't do anything for me at all. I was beyond laughing gas at that point anyway.
Autumn Alexis was born at 10:03 AM and is perfectly healthy with a head of dark hair
As you can see on the scale she weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and she measured 18.5 inches long. Ten fingers, 10 toes and 1 anal opening. Funny story ... Jon asked the nurse if she had an opening when they were tending to her in the warmer cleaning her off. The nurse looked at him like he had two heads and then he explained to her that Rianne had an imperforate anus and that's why he asked. She sympathized and checked right away to confirm she was okay.
After delivery I had to get one stitch, they gave me an ice pack for the swelling and I was able to hold and nurse Autumn. Not that I was producing much of anything at that point but it was a great bonding experience. One that I missed out on with Rianne.
I took a bath later on and got freshened up while Jon held Autumn and then I was taken to another room where Autumn was in with me. My responsibility immediately after delivery. Again, something I missed out on with Rianne since she was in the NICU. So this is what it was like to have a perfectly healthy baby. Amazing!!
She had to get several heel pokes to keep an eye on her blood sugar which was all normal. I felt bad that she had to go through that. Such tiny little feet to be poked at so much.
The next day (Saturday) we were allowed to go home. One day early, because apparently they keep you for 2 days after a vaginal delivery. I asked to leave though because we were both fine and I hate hospitals. My OB said we could leave but had to return the next day (Sunday) for a weight check and blood work.
Even though my labor and delivery were similar both times with regards to how fast it progressed and there was no epidural both times. My experience at the Aberdeen Hospital was 10 times more positive than at the hospital where I delivered Rianne. It makes me wish I we were living here back in 2006. I would recommend my OB to anyone. I was told he was fantastic but now I know that for myself.
Autumn is breast feeding like a champ and thriving. She nurses a lot but she's a growing baby and she's helping me burn calories in the meantime. Bonus! She's been a wonderful addition to our little family and I feel blessed that she is healthy and happy.
Rianne still refuses to hold her because she's squirmy :) I was hoping to get a picture of her holding her baby sister by now but this is the best we have for now.
Life goes by so fast sometimes that we forget to stop, take a breath and enjoy the moments as they happen. This is my attempt to "smell the roses" ... in the moment instead of remembering them after they go by.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Maggie's Musings
- Maggie
- I'm a SAHM to two girls. One is 6 years old and the other is 8 months old.
No comments:
Post a Comment