Friday, September 17, 2010

Our Summer in a Nut Shell


Well it's been a long time since I updated the ole blog. 
So, our Summer was wonderful and it flew by very fast for us which was great! 
We went to Cape Breton on the 2nd of July and only came back to the Mainland on the 10th of September! That's how great the Summer was!

First of all the weather was great so that was an added bonus for us. We discovered the Chimney Corner beach. Apparently the tourists all know about it but we didn't. It's a little gem on the shore road that was enjoyed by myself and Rianne a few times over the Summer. 

Inverness Gathering Days were fantastic for Rianne this year. She was old enough to enjoy it. She went on her first fishing boat ride during the Fisherman's Picnic at the wharf. Then there was Horseman's Day at the race track. She played games, won prizes and went on miniature horse rides courtesy of "Alf" who resides in Dunvegan. Rianne LOVED it and talked about it all Summer long! She renamed the horse and in her mind he's "Butterscotch". I wonder what he'd think of that :)

While in Cape Breton I picked up a job that lasted 3-weeks. I was traveling around hooking up computers in the schools of the Strait Regional School Board. Moving old systems, unpacking and plugging in new systems, throwing out VERY old systems. It was fun! Then I volunteered for a week at the local used clothing store because they were short handed due to vacations over the Summer. I loved being there and organizing everything. I managed to pick up some great stuff for Rianne and I while I was there because I had the time to go through everything. 
I spent a lot of time "treasure hunting" at various used clothing places between Cheticamp, Mabou and Orangedale as well as Inverness. It's a great way to waste time and find some brand name stuff for cheap. My kind of shopping since we are a tighter than tight budget.

Then there was the pool and "slip and slide" ... Rianne spent many many hours in her Dora pool and the slip and slide this Summer. She's all tanned up like a beach bunny even with the thick applications of sun screen. Her Hannah Montana bathing suit was well used, as proven by her tan lines!

My cousin Brad came from Ontario for a visit in September. We picked him up at the Sydney airport on Sept. 5th. Rianne was excited to go to the Airport so we had to leave home at Noon and his flight wasn't scheduled to land until 6:30 so we spent time at the Mayflower Mall. That place really changed since the last time I was there. It's a nice mall with a good variety of stores. My favorite being Winners! 
The mall closed at 5 PM so we had no choice but to leave and head to the airport. Brad's plane landed and we headed to Inverness where he stayed until the 11th. 

Since being back in Westville I've been keeping busy with housework and yard work. It never ends! 

Jon only has 2 more weeks of work in Edmonton and then he's heading East. It's going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life waiting for him to get here. I'm glad the Summer went by as fast as it did because that really helped a lot.

 I took Rianne to the race track a few times over the Summer as well because she loves horses. She loves them way more than I do as a matter of fact. They make me nervous for some reason. Especially race horses. I had to get over that nervousness a bit and take Rianne into the barn where she made a new friend names "Sadie" (aka: Kilkerran Sonnet) who is owned by a friend of ours. Here he is introducing Rianne to the  mare.
Rianne was in her glory being in with the horse. She must have worked with horses in a past life or something because she has a love for them like no other. Even before meeting a real horse she had a passion for them. 

So that was our Summer. A very condensed version but a version none the less. I will have to remind myself to keep this blog more up to date in the future. Maybe it will be my 2011 New Year's resolution because we all know I CANNOT give up chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Maggie's Musings

My photo
I'm a SAHM to two girls. One is 6 years old and the other is 8 months old.